Tuesday, March 31, 2015

#OneYearInSpace

 “Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.” – Captain Kirk, Star Trek

Have I mentioned I'm a space geek?

That could, possibly, have something to do with Star Trek... Maybe...

But more realistically I love following the latest stuff that happens with NASA. (Which in case you were wondering stand for National Aeronautics and Space Administration.)

The latest thing is the one year mission in space they are doing with astronaut Scott Kelly. This is in preparation for the eventual trip to Mars, and it will be the longest an American has ever been in space. Which I think is pretty cool. A couple days ago they had a live stream of the launch from Russia that took the astronauts to the International Space Station (where Mr. Kelly will be hanging out for the next year).

There is something about watching three astronauts in a rocket in space live that just gets me excited. Sometimes I just marvel at what technology can do.

One of the coolest things about this experiment is that Scott Kelly has a identical twin named Mark, who is also an astronaut, who will back here on Earth with the rest of us. They will be able to study the two brothers separately to see what the affects of zero-gravity and space are on the human body. How cool is that!



I also love visiting space centers like Houston and Kennedy, but that is a story for another time... But for now, live long and prosper!

2 comments:

  1. Space fascinates me too! And it definitely has something to do with classic Star Trek :-) Growing up, Captain Kirk was one of my biggest heroes. And I love learning about real space exploration too. Have you visited the Houston and Kennedy space centers? I haven't (yet), but I've been to the Air & Space Museum in DC and its annex in Dulles several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the all the Star Trek tv shows! Spock is probably my favorite character, and Next Generation is probably my favorite out of the shows. (I also loved the new movies they made!)

    I have visited both the Houston and Kennedy space centers! (As well as the Air and Space Museum) Some of my favorites places! I was actually at the Kennedy Center a few months ago when they launched The Orion for the first time. It was like being a part of history in the making!

    ReplyDelete